Tuesday 4 March 2008

Envious, moi?

My translation idol just has to be Anthea Bell. She translates from French and German, including of course Asterix. She's won squillions of prizes and, it would seem, predicted the success of Measuring the World. And reviewers often start off articles with something like "When I saw that the wonderful Anthea Bell had translated this book, I knew it would be good..." That's where I want to be in twenty years' time, I'm telling you.
You can read an absolutely fascinating interview with her on the Writer Unboxed website. And you can enjoy her workshop on translating Asterix at the British Council's well-designed but little-used website literarytranslation.com, if you fancy taking a deeper look. Of course, you could always just throw caution to the wind and buy one of the 368 books listed under her name on Amazon.

No comments: